CHICKENS!

So living in rural Oklahoma one can own farm animals!

Luna, one of the 'barn cats'.

I used to raise rabbits (to show not to eat) and have always loved having other 'small stock' animals around. One of my favorite things growing up was the County Fair. In Arizona we went all out in the 'Small Stock' barn with everything from rabbits, to chickens, to ducks and, pigeons. I loved it.

When we moved back to Oklahoma there were cows, chickens and horses on every corner. Some family friends of our have some beautiful chickens (check out my blog post here) and I had always said I would like to have some, not only for their eggs but because they are interesting birds to raise.

So after 12 years we finally have a small flock of chickens!

My Uncle was kind enough to come help build the coop. We used the old pig pen side of our old barn to convert into a chicken coop. They are a mix bag of chicken breeds but all very lovely to look at and will make some dark colored eggs when they start laying. They are currently molting so it'll be a while before they start. Anyway, hearing the big rooster crow every morning warms my country girl heart.

All framed up.

Korbin assisting.

Staple gun time!

Almost complete!




CHICKENS!

One day I hope to add a couple of small goats to our little farm.

Have you ever owned chickens or want to one day? Or have you ever eaten a fresh egg? Let me know.

Ta for know,
Kayla

Comments

  1. In answer to question I will forward "Rudy the Rooster" to you to read ...... Hopefully you will like it..!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Used To Groom Dogs

What? Where?

November Favorites 2014